Cook Time: 10 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 20 minutes
For red rice:
2 cups cooked rice, preferably cooked the previous evening and refrigerated
4 tbsp tomato paste/puree
1 clove finely diced garlic
2 tbsp of vegetable oil
1 tspsalt to season
2 tsp (30g)butter
1. Heat wok and add the oil to the wok. When the oil is hot add and brown the clove of garlic that was diced finely.
2. Add the rice, separating it as you add it to the wok. Warm the rice through in the wok and separate as you stir-fry the rice. Mix in the tomato paste until it evenly covers the rice.
3. Season with 1 tsp of salt. Stir through the butter till it evenly coats the rice.
Keep rice warm.
For cubed pepper steak:
8 oz (250g) sirloin steak, trimmed of fat and cubed into 1.5cm/half inch cubes.
1 tbsp of soy sauce
1 tsp of sugar
2 tbsp of oyster sauce
1/2 clove of finely diced garlic
A dash of sesame oil
1 tbsp of cracked black pepper
1/2 sliced and separated red onion
4 tbsp of vegetable oil
2 tsp Butter
For dipping sauce:
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 red or green chili, sliced
1. It's best to start with the beef at room temperature. Cut the steak into cubes.
2. Marinade the beef with the 2 tbsp of soy sauce, 2 tsp of sugar, 4 tbsp of oyster sauce, 1 clove of diced garlic, a dash of sesame oil, and 2 tsp of cracked pepper.
3. Mix well and massage the marinade into the beef to give it a head start. Place the beef in the fridge for a quick 10 minutes to marinate.
4. If you are cooking a larger portion, remember to cook your beef in small batches as you need the wok to be and stay quite hot. Heat a wok on high until it's really hot and starts to smoke.
5. Add 4 tablespoons of oil. Add the beef and sear on all sides, toss the beef in the wok for about 2 minutes. Add the onion and stir for a further minute.
7. Serve the beef immediately with red rice, sliced cucumber, and a dipping sauce made of soy sauce and freshly sliced birds eye chili.