Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 30 minutes
1 large squid, gutted, scoured, washed, and and chopped
4 large tiger prawns
4 large scallops
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 large dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated and sliced thinly
2 cups rice, pre-cooked the day before
2 tbsp light soya sauce
4 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 cup fish stock (can be substituted with vegetable or chicken stock)
¼ cup carrots, sliced thinly
¼ cup asparagus, sliced thinly
¼ cup peppers, sliced thinly
1 tbsp corn flour
2 tsp sugar
1 spring onion, sliced thinly for garnish
1. To prepare the fried rice, heat 2 tbsp of oil in a wok until the oil is smoking hot. Crack the egg into the wok, and avoid cracking the yoke until about half of the white is cooked. Crack the yoke, and mix thoroughly, and then move the egg to one side of the wok.
2. Add a further 1 tsp of oil to the wok, and add the rice to the wok, and mix the ingredients so that most of the egg is on top of the rice. Add 2 tbsp of light soya sauce and 2 tsp of sesame oil, mix thoroughly and allow to cook until the rice begins to jump from the base of the pan or 'dance'. Place the rice into a large bowl, and put to one side.
3. Before starting the stir fry make sure that the stock is prepared by mixing together the fish stock, 2 tbsp of light soya sauce and the oyster sauce. Heat the wok back up, and add a further 1 tbsp of oil. Add the harder vegetables, the carrots and asparagus, and give them a quick fold and toss. Then add the softer vegetables, the pepper and the mushrooms, and give them another mix. Finally add the garlic, and bring the temperature up.
4. Add the stock to the wok, and it should start boiling vigorously. Before adding the seafood, place the prawns, the squid, and the scallops into a bowl together, add the corn flour, and make sure the seafood are all equally dusted. First add the prawns to the wok, and allow them to simmer for about a minute. Then add the scallops, which should begin to become a little less translucent, and then finally add the squid, which will be ready once it begins to curl up into rolls. Add the sugar, mix thoroughly, and then it is ready to serve.
5. To serve, ladle the seafood and the vegetables over the top of the rice, pour over the stock, and enjoy!