Cook Time: 25 minutes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Ready In: 55 minutes
50g, 1.75 oz. dried Black fungus/Wood ear mushroom
80g, 2.8 oz. glass noodles
400g, 14.1 oz. grated carrots
200g, 7.1 oz. pork mince
200g, 7.1 oz. chicken mince
200g, 7.1oz. prawns
1 tbsp sugar
3 tsp salt
2 tsp fine white pepper
1 tbsp fish sauce
To make the filling mixture:
1. Soak the Black fungus/Wood ear mushroom and glass noodles in cold water separately for 20 minutes then rinse and strain. If the wood ear mushrooms haven't been pre-sliced, slice into thin slices. Cut the glass noodles into 3cm/1.2in strips.
2. Peel and chop the prawns.
3. Mix all the filling ingredients together in a bowl until mixed evenly and the mixture becomes a paste.
To assemble the spring rolls:
1. Place a spring roll wrapper on a plate as a diamond with a pointy side pointing down. Scoop a portion of the filling mixture of the spring roll wrapper with a teaspoon, onto the bottom third of the spring roll wrapper, to form a horizontal log shape.
2. Take the bottom pointy part of the spring roll wrapper and envelope the filling. Pull the wrapper downwards to tighten the mixture and roll into a log.
3. Close the two sides of the wrapper and continue to roll, keeping the mixture firm and uniform. Before you reach the end of the wrapper, dip your finger into the egg and cover the final corner of the wrapper and then finish rolling.
4. The egg will seal the spring roll. Continue to wrap the remaining mixture. Any remaining mixture can be frozen and used at a later date.
Frying the eggroll:
1. Heat oil to 180°C/350°F (you can dip a wooden chopstick into the oil and if it starts bubbling you know you have the right temperature)
2. Add the spring rolls in individually, careful not to overcrowd the wok as this will cool the oil and the spring rolls will not cook evenly and will not be crisp.
3. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the spring rolls are golden brown and crispy.
4. Drain on kitchen roll
5. Cook all the spring rolls, check the temperature of the oil before adding the new batch of spring rolls.
Additional directions not shown in the video:
To make the dipping fish sauce:
1. Mix the fish sauce, rice vinegar and sugar together until the sugar dissolves, add the pickled chilli and the dash of lime just before serving.
2. Defrost and pre-peel 50 spring roll wrappers.
3. Beat an egg in a small bowl and set aside.
4. Serve with dipping fish sauce and lettuce, round mint, vietnamese mint, and perilla.