Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Ready In: 20 minutes
1 cup iceberg lettuce, shredded
¼ cup cucumber, cut into batons
2 tbsp vietnamese mint, chopped finely
2 tbsp perilla, chopped finely
2 tbsp round mint, chopped finely
10½ oz (300g) sirloin, sliced finely
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp sugar
¼ tsp sesame oil
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
2 lemongrass sticks, finely diced
½ garlic clove, chopped
½ cup bean sprouts
1 cup vermicelli
2 tbsp vegetable oil
½ cup onion, sliced
1 tbsp fried shallots
1 tbsp roasted peanuts, chopped
For the Dipping Fish Sauce:
3 tbsp fish sauce
3 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp pickled chilli
Dash of lime
1. In a bowl mix together the lettuce, the cucumber, the Vietnamese mint, the perilla and the round mint.
2. In another bowl, marinate the beef by adding to it the fish sauce, sugar, sesame oil, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Then add the lemongrass and the garlic, mix and leave to marinate for 10 minutes.
3. To serve, place the bean sprouts in the bottom of the bowl, and then top with the pre-cooked vermicelli, adjusting the quantity depending of whether your are serving it as a starter or a main. Then top this with the lettuce, mint and perilla. To cook the vermicelli, simply boil in hot water for 3-5 minutes and then drain.
4. Finally, in a hot wok add the vegetable oil and the beef. The beef will be ready just as it begins to turn brown. Just before this happens, add the onions and allow them to soften whilst stirring continuously.
5. Top with fried shallots, roasted peanuts and a drizzle of dipping fish sauce. Serve the rest of the dipping fish sauce alongside the dish.