Cook Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
For the topping:
2 gala apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/8 " thin
½ tsp of sugar (2 g)
2 tbsp apricot jam, heated until liquefied (30 ml)
juice of ½ a lemon
1. In a bowl of a food processor combine flour, salt and sugar and pulse until combined. And butter cubes a few at a time, pulsing quickly until dough resembles a coarse meal. Beat egg together with water. Add egg mixture, slowly, pulsing just until dough comes together. Turn out onto a floured surface and roll into a ball and then pat down into a disk. Wrap disk in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes (or pop in the freezer for 10)
2. Meanwhile, place apple chunks, juice, water cinnamon and zest in a heavy-bottomed sauce pan. Cover and bring to a boil and let cook for 10 mins.
3. Simmer uncovered until most of the liquid is evaporated. Mask apples into a paste with a fork. Allow to cool completely, it will thicken as it cools.
4. Roll out dough onto a floured surface and fit into a 9" tart pan. Spread a single layer of compote on the bottom, and place in freezer while you prep your apples.
5. Peel, core and slice apples very thin, about 1/8 " thick. Place in bowl and squeeze with lemon juice to prevent browning.
6. Remove tart from the freezer. When placing the apples the idea is to create an escargot pattern. Starting from the outside and working your way into the center. Layer each apple, cut side down, one slightly overlapping the other, making your way all around the tart until you reach the center.
7. Bake at 400F (200 c) for 15 minutes and then reduce heat to 350F (175 c) and bake for 20 more minutes, or until golden brown. Then place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes just until the apples begin to get lightly charred.
8. Place the jam in the microwave and heat on high for 15 secs or until melted. Brush tart with jam to create a nice shine. Et voila!
9. Serve with vanilla ice cream or a dollop of homemade whipped cream.
HOMEMADE WHIPPED CREAM
2 cups of heavy cream (480 ml)
2 tbsp powdered sugar (13 g)
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 ml)
1. Combine ingredients and whip until stiff peaks form.