Cook Time: 1 hour
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour & 30 minutes
2 day old baguettes or 1 large Italian loaf
3 cups raw whole milk or cream
2 bay leaves
1 tsp finely chopped thyme
1 onion, julienned
2 cups diced ripe tomatoes
1 cup grated cheese
¼ cup fresh basil leaves
6 large eggs
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1. In a medium saucepan, scald the milk or cream with the bay leaves and chopped thyme. To scald the milk, let it simmer on low heat, but do not bring the milk to a boil.
2. Prepare a large baking mold or a casserole dish by buttering the sides and the bottom generously.
3. Julienne the onion and carmelize in a pan with olive oil.
4. Using a serrated knife, cut the baguettes into large one square inch croutons. Cut the crust of the baguette if you like. Set aside. Prepare the tomato by cutting them into bite-sized chunks. In another bowl add the eggs and whisk them until they are well mixed together.
5. In a large mixing bowl add the bread croutons, caramelized onions, and milk. Remove the bay leaves. Add in the freshly chopped tomatoes and mix ingredients together. Add in fresh basil, eggs, and cheese (optional). Mix by folding again. Finish with a pinch of kosher salt and ground pepper. Fold for the last time and then place the mixture into the buttered mold.
6. Bake the pudding for 40 minutes at 350°F. Take it straight from the oven to the table and you're ready to serve.
Also check out the other videos in Chef Pilar's https://grokker.com/cooking/collection/taste-of-napa-/521cd891eed0e44b4600014c collection