3 Heirloom tomatoes
1 Green zebra tomatoes
2 Sun-gold tomatoes
1 San Marzano tomatoes
Pinch Kosher salt to taste
2 wedges Lime
1 pound Okra, cut into long strips with the end stem
1/2 cup cornstarch
4 cups vegetable oil for frying, preheated to 350F
1 tsp Garam Masala
Pinch of sea salt to taste
1. First, start by heating up your fryer or a pot with 4 cups of vegetable oil to 350°F degree.
2. Next, take 3 heirloom, 1 green zebra, 2 sun-gold, and 1 San Marzano tomatoes and cut the small ones in halves and the bigger ones into quarters.
3. Place all of the tomatoes into a bowl. Squeeze 1 wedge of lime into the bowl. Add in 1/2 of red onion sliced thinly. Add in a touch of kosher salt to your taste and toss the vegetables. At this point it is optional to add a touch of olive oil but Alex Ong does not add any in the video. Place the vegetables on a plate and set it aside.
5. Take your pound of okra and cut them into thin strips like french fries.
6. Toss them in a bowl and add 1/2 cup of cornstarch. Toss them around some more and make sure the okras are coated evenly. Then place the coated okras into the fryer for about 1 & half minute.
7. Now prepare the Garam masala. Add a pinch of salt to your taste.
8. Once your okras are nice and brown, take them out and drain it off and place it in a bowl.
9. Season it with sea salt and 1 teaspoon of Garam Masala. Toss it together so it mixes well.
10. Plate it on top of the tomatoes and stack them high. Serve with wedge of lime on the side.