Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Ready In: 35 minutes
6 cups vegetable oil
1 can of beer
1 cup AP flour
1 cup cornstarch
1 ½ lbs Mahi Mahi, skinless cut into 1 in.-wide pieces
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
Lemon wedges for garnish
Malt vinegar for garnish
Tartar sauce for garnish
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat until a thermometer reaches 375°F.
2. Meanwhile, to make the batter, whisk together the beer, flour, cornstarch, egg and salt. Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
3. Pat dry the fish pieces and season with salt and pepper. Drop the fish into the batter one at a time and using tongs carefully place in the hot oil. Cook until golden brown or about 3-5 minutes.
4. Carefully watch the temperature of the oil, adjusting the heat up and down to maintain 350-375°F.
5. Drain the fried fish on some paper towels. Serve with whatever garnish suits your fancy.