Cook Time: 15 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Ready In: 30 minutes
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 cup dry white wine
8 cloves garlic, minced
3 lbs. mussels, cleaned, beards removed.
6 tbsp of Extra virgin olive oil and/or butter
3-4 sprigs Italian parsley
1 loaf of country bread or french baguette
1. Slice bread into big hearty pieces and brush with 3 tablespoons of olive oil on each side. Toast in a pan or in the oven until golden brown and crisp. Set aside.
2. De-beard the mussels by simply pulling out any fibrous threads with your hands or a paring knife Sauté chopped onion over medium heat in oil until softened and aromatic, about 10 minutes.
3. Add garlic, and allow to soften for just a moment. Add wine and mussels and bring to a boil.
4. Cover and cook, shaking pot occasionally, until mussels are opened, 4 to 5 minutes. Toss any unopened ones.
5. Transfer mussels to a platter, making sure to keep the delicious juices. Sprinkle with parsley and lemon wedges. Serve with toasted bread