THE PERFECT CUP OF COFFEE
Makes 1 pot
8 tbsp of good quality coffee
24 ounces of cold, filtered water
2 cups half and half, warmed
1. Measure coffee and place in filter. Pour in cold, filtered water. Allow to brew. Meanwhile heat half and half in a saucepan until foamy. Transfer to heat safe pitcher. Serve with the coffee.
FRUIT JUICE COCKTAIL
1/2 Gallon of Orange Juice
1/2 gallon of Grapefruit Juice
16 oz of cranberry juice
Fresh Mint Sprigs for garnish
1. Fill champagne flute with 1/3 orange juice, 1/3 grapefruit juice, and 1/3 cranberry juice. Do not mix. Allow juices to mingle in a pretty pattern. Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.
1 cup of vegetable or canola oil
3/4 cup of water
zest of 1 lemon
2 cups of flour
3/4 of sugar
1 tbsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup of fresh (or frozen) blueberries
2 tbsp of butter.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In a small bowl combine the eggs, oil and water. Whisk together until combined and then add the lemon zest.
3. In a large bowl add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together until combined.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, just until combined. Then gently add the blueberries. Do not over mix or you will have tough muffins! Rest for 10 mins to allow the baking powder to “activate”.
5. Meanwhile, melt butter in microwave for 30 seconds. Grease muffin tin with the melted butter, either with a paper towel or a pastry brush.
6. Scoop out muffin batter with an ice cream scoop (so they are all equal portions) or with a 4-cup measuring cup. Fill to almost full.
7. Bake at 400°F for 10-12 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
FOOLPROOF SCRAMBLED EGGS
2 tbsp (15 g) butter
1/2 cup of water
1/4 cup of shredded gruyere cheese
2 tbsp fresh chives, roughly chopped
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Beat eggs in a bowl and add half and half. Heat butter in a pan over low flame, once butter foams add eggs. Let stand until eggs begin to set then go in with a wooden spoon and gently stir curds until cooked. Add cheese and stir, transfer to a platter, garnish with chives and salt and pepper.
SMOKED SALMON WITH CHUNKY CREAM CHEESE
1 cup of whipped cream cheese
1/2 a red onion, diced
2 tbsp capers, rinsed + 1 tbsp for garnish
2 tbsp fresh dill, minced
zest of 1 lemon
freshly cracked pepper
1 (8 oz) package of smoked salmon
1 loaf of pumpernickel bread, sliced (or rye of wheat bread works well too)
fresh dill for garnish
1. Place cream cheese in a bowl and add the onion, capers, dill, zest, and pepper. Stir to combine. Transfer to a small serving bowl and place on a large platter or cutting board.
2. Lay out smoked salmon in a decorative, ribbon fashion. Sprinkle capers on top, and garnish with fresh dill. Serve bread nestled among the salmon on the platter.
CANTELOUPE AND BLACKBERRY SALAD WITH FRESH MINT
1 whole ripe cantaloupe
1 cup of blackberries
1 tsp sugar
1/4 cup of fresh mint, julienned into thin strips
1. Cut cantaloupe in half, and scoop out seeds with a spoon. Then cut each half into 2” wedges. Then with a paring knife slice off cantaloupe skins.
2. Toss blackberries with the sugar, and place over the cantaloupe. Garnish with fresh mint.
“CHEATERS” HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE CROISSANTS
Makes 1 dozen
1 package of puffed pastry sheets (Pepperidge Farm brand preferred)
1 4oz bar of semi-sweet chocolate (Ghirardelli Brand preferred)
Powdered sugar for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Lay out puff pastry on a floured cutting board. Cut 4 inch rectangles. If using the Pepperidge Farm brand you will get 12 rectangles.
3. Prepare chocolate. If using the Ghirardelli brand, cut each square in half (you are looking for a finished size of 1 inch x 1/2 inch piece of chocolate)
4. Place 1 chocolate piece at the end of the short side of the rectangle, fold the dough over, and then lightly brush egg wash on the remaining dough and fold over again to seal. Place seem side down on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. This is to prevent the croissants from sticking to the cookie sheet.
5. Once all the croissants have been made. Lightly brush each one with egg wash and pop the tray in the fridge for at least 10 mins to firm up.
6. Then bake for 17-20 mins until golden brown and puffed. Allow to cool slightly and then dust with powdered sugar.