Servings: Makes one loaf.
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Prep Time: 2 hours and 30 minutes
4 cups (1000 mL) all-purpose unbleached flour
2 tsp (10 mL) coarse salt
2 cups (500 mL) lukewarm water (100ºF)
1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar
2 tsp (10 mL) active-dry yeast
Room temperature butter for greasing the bowls
1. In a measuring cup, dissolve the sugar into the water. Mix in the yeast and let it stand for about 5 minutes or until the mixture is foamy - just to ensure that the yeast is active.
2. In a mixing bowl whisk the flour and the salt. Mix in the water / yeast to form a wet, sticky, 'ragged' dough. Transfer this mixture into prepared buttered bowl.
3. Cover bowl with a tea towel or plastic wrap and set aside in a warm spot to rise for an hour or so - it needs to dbl in bulk. Punch down the dough, recover, and allow to rise a second time. About an hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
5. Butter two oven-safe 1.5L bowls (or bread pans), divide the dough into two equal portions and place into your prepared bowls. Cover & let the dough rise for about 30 minutes.
6. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375º and bake for 22 to 25 minutes longer. Internal temp should be around 190ºF.
7. Remove from the oven and turn the loaves onto cooling racks. let cool for 10 minutes before cutting.