Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Notes: Makes one loaf Karask. I used a standard-size loaf pan and increased the honey to one Tablespoon. I reduced the oven temperature to 375(F) and baked for 30 minutes. If you don’t have barley flour, you can grind your own in a grain mill or Vitamix. In place of the farmer cheese, you can use ricotta. As with any quick bread, Karask is best enjoyed right away.
1. Preheat the oven to 400(F).
2. Line a rectangular baking pan (5 x 10 inches) with parchment paper.
3. Combine the farmer cheese, kefir, egg, salt and honey in a bowl and mix until smooth.
4. Stir in melted butter.
5. Combine the flours with the baking soda and add to the batter. Mix well.
6. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 30-40 minutes. To check whether the bread is ready, insert a wooden toothpick into the center. When the toothpick comes out dry, the bread is done.
7. Serve with butter or onion butter (caramelized onions).