10-12 lb turkey
1 bunch sage, chopped medium rough
3 oranges and their zest
1½ tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
OPTIONAL: 10 oz. chicken stock (homemade or store bought) for basting
Orange slices for garnish
Bay leaf for garnish
1. Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
2. De-stem and rough chop the sage and place it in a bowl. Zest the oranges and add to the bowl of chopped sage. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add olive oil. Mix together until you have a paste-like consistency.
3. With your deboning knife, gently separate the skin from the meat along the breast of the turkey. Separate the skin even more with your fingers so you have a deep pocket to stuff the paste into.
4. Using your fingers push the paste under the skin and get an even coat between the skin and meat. Season the entire turkey with salt and pepper.
5. Pack your prepared Ciabatta Pancetta Stuffing (Grokker Video Recipe link above) stuffing into the turkey, or substitute with any other stuffing.
6. Bind the legs and wings together with kitchen twine. Make sure to salt and pepper the bottom side as well.
7. Place the turkey in the oven, rule of thumb for roasting a turkey, 15 minutes for every pound. Start off by putting your turkey uncovered in a 400°F oven for 30 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 350°F. At this point cover entire turkey loosely with foil. Continue roasting for about 2½ hours. Then reduce the heat further to 225°F for the next hour or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 180°F.
8. Baste the turkey every 45 minutes with pan juices or warm chicken stock, remove the turkey from the oven, and baste the turkey all over.
9. Transfer turkey to platter, and let the turkey rest for 30 minutes before carving.
Serve with plenty of stuffing, remaining pan gravy, and cranberry sauce. Enjoy!