Cook Time: 20 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Ready In: 40 minutes
The filling can be anything -- spinach & cheese, mushrooms & leeks, or any of the vegetables prepared in the method below.
1 tbsp vegetable oil
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp mustard seeds
10-12 curry leaves (optional)
½ onion, diced
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp turmeric
¾ tsp sea salt
1 tsp Garam Masala (optional)
1 tbsp GOG (Garlic-Onion-Ginger paste)
½ tsp of tamarind paste
¼ cup boiled potatoes
¼ cup of thinly sliced cabbage
¼ cup cauliflower florets, sliced
¼ cup beans, like chick peas or black beans
4 tbsp of diced red pepper
1 roll of frozen puff pastry (Suggestion: PC makes a great puff pastry that I've never had any complaints about)
1 egg, beaten
Extra flour, for dusting
1. Let frozen puff pastry thaw overnight in the fridge or outside on your kitchen counter for 2 hours.
2. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and curry leaves. Fry for 30 seconds
3. Add diced onions, fry for another 30 seconds and then add remaining dry spices, salt and GOG.
4. Mix well and fry for about 1 minute to release essential oils from all these spices, then add tamarind paste and stir well. Fry for another minute.
5. Add 2 tbsp of water, let whole mixture come back up to a simmer and add Cauliflower, Chick Peas, Cabbage and Boiled Potatoes. Stir well, cover and let cook for 10-15 minutes.
6. Add fresh cilantro and red peppers, stir and let cool.