2 cups sliced carrots, into half moons (save peels, tops and ends)
2 cups of celery, sliced into half moons (save ends and any leafing parts)
1 yellow onion, quartered, skin on
2 cloves of garlic, peeled, quartered
1 tbsp peppercorns
2 bay leaves
8 sprigs of Thyme
1 whole chicken (cut up)
10 cups of water
1 cups of egg noodles
2 tsp of salt
2 tsp Italian Seasoning (dried basil, oregano etc)
8-10 tbsp of chopped flat leaf parsley for garnish
1. Prep carrots and celery and place in a medium size bowl and set aside. Keep the carrot peels, and celery trimmings separately and set aside.
2. In a 5-quart stock pot add the carrot peels, celery trimmings, onion and garlic. Then add the peppercorns, bay leaves ad thyme.
3. Add 1 whole chicken that has been cut up into 8 pieces, and cut breasts in half, cutting through the bone with a chef's knife or kitchen shears.
4. Add 10 cups of water. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
5. Remove cooked chicken with kitchen tongs and allow to cool.
6. Then strain the broth through a fine mesh sieve. Discard the solids and transfer the broth into a clean 5-quart stock pot. Add chopped celery, carrots, cover and simmer on medium high heat until vegetables are tender.
7. In a separate pot, cook egg noodles according to package instructions.
8. Meanwhile while the noodles and vegetables are cooking, prep the chicken. Remove and discard the skin. Shred chicken off the bone with 2 forks, and set aside.
9. Add shredded chicken to the pot, add salt and Italian seasoning and cooked egg noodles.
10. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with chopped flat leaf parsley.