1 medium leek
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp Madras curry powder
9 oz (250g) fresh white crabmeat
6 free-range egg yolks
2 free-range eggs
1 cup (200ml) milk
2 cups (400ml) double cream
1/2 cup (60g) Gruyère cheese, grated
Salt and black pepper to taste
2 cups (250g) plain flour, sifted, plus extra for dusting
1/2 cup (120g) cold unsalted butter, diced
1 free-range egg, beaten
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp cold water
1. Start by making the pastry. Sift the flour into a bowl and make a well in the centre, then add the diced butter, egg and salt. Using your fingertips, work all the ingredients together quickly, gradually drawing in the flour.
2. Once the mixture has a sandy consistency, add the cold water and gently knead the pastry until smooth — but take care not to overwork it. Shape it into a ball, wrap in cling film and leave it to rest in the fridge for 2 hours.
3. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to a circle about 3mm thick and use this to line a buttered 24cm flan ring.
4. Prick the pastry base with a fork, line it with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans, then bake for 20 mins. Remove the paper and beans and put the pastry back into the oven for another 10 mins or until the base has cooked but not taken on too much color. Leave the oven on.
5. For the filling, trim the leek and split it in half lengthways. Cut it into fine strips, wash these well in cold water, then drain and dry on a cloth. Melt the butter in a wide saucepan, then add the leek and cook gently until tender.
6. Season with a little salt, pepper and the curry powder and continue to cook for 2-3 mins, then tip everything into a mixing bowl and leave to cool. Pick through the crabmeat to remove any bones or cartilage and add it to the leek. Whisk the yolks and whole eggs, add the milk and cream and season. Stir the egg mixture into the leek and crab, then pour everything into the pastry base.
7. Gently place the quiche in the oven, still at 400°F (200°C), and bake for 25 mins. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top and cook for another 5 mins or until golden and set. Remove the quiche from the oven and leave to cool a little before cutting it into slices to serve.