Basic Pizza Dough (Makes: 3 x 30cm rounds)
2 tsp 4g dried yeast (or ½ sachet)
1 & 1/3 cups 300ml luke warm water (more if required)
2 tsp (10ml) Roma Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp salt
1 & 1/2 tsp sugar
4 cups (500g) Roma Pizza and Pasta “00” flour
For the Tomato Sauce (this will be sufficient for 3 pizza bases)
2 tbsp Roma Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 large onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
3 & 1/4 cups 600g Roma Chopped Tomatoes
Salt and Pepper
1/2 tsp chopped fresh herbs e.g. thyme, sage, marjoram
1/2 tsp sugar (if necessary)
Parma Ham, Mozzarella and Rocket Topping (quantities for 1 pizza topping)
2 slices Parma ham, cut into 3cm strips
5 - 6 slices buffalo mozzarella
Handful of rocket leaves, tossed in a little dressing
To make the tomato sauce:
1. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, add onion and herbs and sauté over a low heat for about 7-10 minutes, until the onion has softened.
2. Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes. Then add the tomatoes and simmer for about 10–15 minutes until thickened.
3. Season with salt, pepper and if necessary sugar.
To make the base:
1. Mix the yeast and sugar in the luke warm water. Allow to activate – the yeast will froth, then it is ready to use. Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl and add the salt, olive oil and yeast mixture.
2. Mix to a loose dough, adding more flour or water as required. Knead until the dough is very pliable – approximately 5 minutes using the dough hook of a food mixer or 7–10 minutes by hand.
3. Leave the dough to rise in a well-oiled bowl covered with cling film until the dough has trebled in size and is springy to the touch. It will rise best in a warm location e.g. hotpress, near a cooker or oven.
4. Preheat the oven to 446°F (230°C / Gas 8). When the dough has risen, knock it back and place onto a floured surface. Knead it again by hand for 2–3 minutes.
5. Roll out or stretch dough with your hands onto the pizza pan / screen or baking sheet sprinkled with a little semolina.
6. To avoid a soggy centre, bake the dough without any sauce or topping for 3-4 minutes. Spread the tomato sauce mixture over the dough and top with the Parma ham strips and mozzarella slices around.
7. Return to the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes until lightly brown and bubbly – 8 to 10 minutes. Top with a handful of rocket and serve.