2 ½-pound bunches kale, de-stemmed and torn into bite-sized pieces
¼ pound bacon (preferably black forest)
¼ tsp salt
1½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
½ cup Marcona almonds
½ cup Parmigiano curls
Freshly ground black pepper
1. For the kale, to remove the stems, hold the base of the stem with one hand, and then run your hand down the stem to separate the leaf from the stem.
2. Tear the kale into bite-sized pieces and set aside. Cut bacon into ½-inch pieces.
3. In a cast-iron skillet set over medium-low heat, cook bacon until crisp, stirring occasionally. Transfer bacon to a cooling rack placed over a baking sheet to drain excess fat.
4. Increase heat to medium-high, heating up remaining bacon grease. Add dry kale (in two batches) and ¼ teaspoon salt to skillet. Cook, flipping once or twice for about 4 minutes, or until kale brightens in color and looks vibrant. Transfer kale to a platter.
5. Drizzle balsamic vinegar on top of the salad. Add cooked bacon pieces, and a few grinds of pepper, toss to combine. To finish the dish, sprinkle with almonds and Parmigiano curls.
Note: Create Parmigiano curls using a vegetable peeler.