1 tbsp sherry vinegar
¼ tsp saffron threads
1 cup Stella Artois
3 cups water
4 bunches heirloom carrots, with tops (about 3lbs)
3 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tsp salt (white salt) - pinches of salt
1 tsp lemon zest
Finishing salt and freshly ground white pepper
Carrot tops for plating
1. In a small bowl combine sherry vinegar and saffron. Set aside.
2. Bring Stella Artois and 3 cups water to a boil in a heavy bottomed pot.
3. Cut off the carrot tops (reserving a few for plating) leaving 1/2-inch green stem.
4. Slice carrots into 1-inch pieces. Add carrots and a pinch of salt to pot, cover and boil carrots until just al dente. Drain into a colander. Return carrots to pot. Reduce the heat to low. Immediately add butter, saffron, and sherry vinegar to carrots.
5. Stir until carrots are coated in the sauce (about 1 minute). Season with a sprinkle of finishing salt, and a few grinds of white pepper. Transfer to a platter. Add ¼ cup chopped carrot tops and stir to combine.
6. Garnish with lemon zest.