Cook Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Ready In: 45 minutes
1 pound (500g) of frozen store bought puff pastry, thawed
2.2 pounds (1 kilo) of fresh tomatoes
Bunch of basil (can be substituted with fresh oregano)
2 cloves garlic
Salt and Pepper for seasoning
3-4 leaves of fresh sage for garnish
1. Thickly slice the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, then sauté in olive oil over high heat until caramelized and starting to brown. While tomatoes are sautéing peel and chop your garlic. Next take a baking sheet and cover it with greaseproof paper or baking parchment.
2. Drizzle olive oil on parchment to lightly coat the paper and sprinkle with your chopped garlic trying as best you can to evenly distribute it onto the olive oil. Chop up basil and distribute it evenly on the baking sheet with the garlic.
3. Place your caramelized tomatoes straight from the hot pan onto the baking sheet atop the garlic and basil. Make sure the tomatoes are evenly spaced and arranged neatly with cut sides facing down on end pieces of tomato, as you will later invert this for presentation and it will be much prettier this way.
4. Roll out your puff pastry to the shape of your baking sheet and cover the tomatoes with the puff pastry, patting the pastry down onto the tomatoes to make sure they will stick when baking. Place in a pre-heated oven 425°F (200°C) for approx. 20 mins until pastry has risen and is golden brown.
5. Remove from the oven invert the tray onto a chopping board. Carefully peel off the parchment paper using a knife to scrape off any bits that may stick to the paper.
6. If using as an appetizer cut into bite sized squares or if serving as a lunch accompaniment cut into larger portions. Sprinkle with some fresh, finely chopped sage and enjoy!