Cook Time: 25 minutes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Ready In: 30 minutes
Make Sure You Have: a blender or mixer.
2/3 cup plus 3/4 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
2 tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
Pinch kosher salt
6, 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick slices challah, brioche, or other rich (eggy) sandwich bread
4 tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the 2/3 cup almonds in one layer in a small baking pan and put in the (preheated) oven. Set a timer for 10 minutes and check the nuts to see if they’re a light golden brown. If not, toast 2 minutes longer. Let it cool.
2. In the food processor, process the toasted almonds with the sugar until they’re finely ground and look like coarse sand.
3. Add the egg, vanilla, and softened butter, and flour and process until everything is well blended. With the spatula, scrape the almond paste into a bowl.
4. Brush both sides of the bread slices with some melted butter and then spread some almond paste on one side of each slice.
5. Arrange the bread on the baking sheet and sprinkle the 3/4 cup untoasted sliced almonds over the tops. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
6. Serve hot.