Cook Time: 45 minutes
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour & 30 minutes
3 cups cooked black eyed peas (NOTE: this needs to be done in advance. Soak 1 cup/8 oz. of dried black eyed peas covered in water overnight. Drain and place peas in a pot of water making sure the water covers the peas by 1-2 inches. Boil for 35-40 minutes until done.)
2 tsp sliced garlic
2 tomatoes diced small (you can use canned but don't use more than 8 - 10oz of the tomatoes, drained)
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp Garam Masala
2 1/2 cups water
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp Ghee (You can substitute with clarified butter or Canola oil.)
1 1/2 cup plain yogurt
1. Start by getting your pan hot. Add in 1 tbsp of Ghee or canola oil. Give it 20 seconds to let the ghee melt down. Add the 2 tsp of cumin seeds and let it sizzle for 30 seconds. Add in 2 tsp of sliced garlic and let it sizzle until it has some golden color. Add in the tomatoes. Mix it all in and let it cook down for 3-5 minutes, just enough to break down the tomatoes.
2. At about 2 minutes check the tomatoes by pressing the spoon down on them, they should start to break apart at the touch. When the tomatoes are broken up, add the 2 tsp of salt and 2 tsp of Garam Masala. Now add in 3 cups of your cooked black eyed peas and 2 and 1/2 cups of water or just enough to cover the peas. Let it simmer down for 15-20 minutes until the liquid becomes thick.
In the meantime, get to work on the greens.
1. In a hot pan, add 1 tbsp of ghee (or clarified butter, canola oil). Add in 2 tbsp of grated ginger. Once the ginger gets a little brown, add in 2-3 cups of your greens. Add in 1 tsp of salt. Use a pair of tongs to move it around until greens start to wilt and shrink in size. When all are wilted and shrunk they are done. Remove from heat.
From this point, go back to finishing up your peas.
3. Check to make sure it is a thick soupy consistency. Add in 1 and 1/2 cups of plain yogurt. Mix it in. Let it cook for 2 more minutes on low heat, but do not let it come back up to boil or a hard simmer because this will cause the yogurt to break. Give it a taste for seasoning. and add salt if necessary.
1. Place a generous amount of Black Eye Peas in a shallow bowl. Top with a large spoonful of greens. Serve and enjoy!