4 cups cooked rice
¼ cup dried shiitake slices
1 cup hot water + ¼ cup water
½ a carrot, cut into matchsticks
½ zucchini, cut into matchsticks
1 cup mung bean sprouts
1 small bunch choy sum,spinach or kale
3 tbsp soy sauce or coconut aminos
2 tbsp vegan oyster sauce
3 tbsp sesame oil
3 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp coconut sugar
salt & pepper
1. Mushrooms- Soak dried shiitakes in 1 cup hot water for 10 minutes. Drain and squeeze excess liquid from the mushrooms. Mix ¼ cup water, vegan oyster sauce and coconut sugar in a small pot and add shiitakes. Simmer for 15 minutes, until mushrooms are tender.
2. Greens- Boil just until greens are wilted. Drain and rinse with cold water to keep the color bright. Squeeze out excess liquid. Chop and place in a small bowl. Season with 1 tsp. soy sauce, 1 tsp. sesame oil and 1 tsp. garlic
3. Carrots- Cut into matchsticks and boil for 2 minutes. Drain. I leave the carrots naked but season if you prefer.
4. Zucchini- Cut into matchsticks and sprinkle with 1 tsp. salt. Stir-fry for one minute with 1 tsp. sesame oil and 1 tsp. garlic.
5. Mung bean sprouts- Boil for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Season with 1 tsp. soy sauce, 1 tsp. sesame oil and 1 tsp. garlic
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a muffin tin. Moisten your fingers with water to prevent sticking before you press the cooked rice into the muffin cups. Create a space in the middle (about the size of a golf ball) where your veggies will rest. Bake for 20 minutes or until the sides of the rice cups start to crisp up.
2. This dish tastes best when the rice cups are hot out of the oven. Add the prepared veggies and top with gochujang and sesame seeds.