1. De-stem the kale and give it a rough chop.
2. Shallow-fry the kale in a wok at high heat, using groundnut oil or equivalent. Stir the kale, keeping it within the oil so it does not burn.
3. When the kale has shrunk, remove it from heat and set on a paper towel to soak up any excess oil. Set aside.
4. Combine the chili, ginger, and soy sauce in a cup or small bowl. Set aside.
5. Prepare the scallops for searing by removing the hard white muscle that attaches them to the shell. This can be removed with a knife or your fingers and discarded. Detach the roe, to be cooked separately.
6. In a small skillet over medium heat, add a splash of oil. Place the scallops in the pan, standing them up against each other so they do not lean over. Sear for a few seconds, then flip. Add the roe to the pan. Cook for a few more seconds. When the scallops are done, the texture should be spongy.
1. Place a bed of kale on a plate and sprinkle with sugar. Remove the scallops from the pan and nestle them into the kale.
2. Sprinkle the chili sauce over the top.