Yields: Makes 10 quesadillas.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 20 minutes
1 tbsp high heat oil like safflower or grape seed oil
1 yellow bell pepper seeded and julienned
1 red bell pepper seeded and julienned
½ large red onion seeded and cut to a fine julienne
1 large zucchini, cut in half lengthwise then cut thin crosswise
1 tsp lemon pepper
½ cup grated vegan cheddar
½ cup grated vegan mozzarella
1 bunch scallions, (green parts only) cut on the bias
8 flour tortillas
Vegan butter or extra virgin olive oil as needed
2 small firm avocados
Chipotle Crème as needed (recipe below)
Ingredient for Chipotle Crème:
1 (7 oz.) can Chipotle Chiles in adobo sauce
1 cup vegan mayonnaise
1. Toss the oil, bell peppers, onion, zucchini and lemon pepper in a medium size bowl. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Heat a grill pan or large sauté pan over high heat.
2. Add the vegetables and cook until they are soft and charred. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the vegetables to cool. Place the vegetables in a bowl and incorporate the cheese and scallions.
3. Fill a flour tortilla with about 1/3 cup of filling, fold the tortilla in half and reserve. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
4. Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat and add a dab of vegan butter or a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Cook 2 Quesadillas at a time for about 2 minutes on each side or until the tortilla is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
5. Cut each Quesadilla in 3rds. Top each piece with a couple of thin slices of avocado and a drizzle of Chipotle Crème
Directions for Chipotle Crème:
1. Using a small bowl mix 1.5 Tablespoons of the thick liquid found in the can of chipotles with 1-cup vegan mayo.
2. Season the sauce with kosher salt and reserve in a squeeze bottle or glass jar with a tight fitting lid.
Sauce is good for 2 weeks refrigerated.