2 pounds cubed beef chuck or country ribs
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tbsp oil or bacon fat
2 tbsp sherry or wine
2 cups sliced carrots (3-4 carrots)
2 cups diced onion (1 large)
1 cup sliced celery (2 stalks)
1 medium potato, cubed
1 turnip, peeled and cubed (or an additional potato)
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp tarragon
1 bay leaf
6-8 cups beef broth or water
1 cup green beans, cut into 1″ lengths (fresh or frozen)
1. Toss the cubed meat with the flour, salt, and pepper. Brown it in the bacon fat over medium-high heat in a large pot. Remove as it is browned.
2. Deglaze the pot with sherry, scraping up all the brown bits. If you need to add some water to get everything loose, add a couple more tablespoons.
3. Add the carrots, onion and celery. Soften briefly in the fat.
4. Add all other ingredients except green beans and bring to boil. Simmer 1 hour uncovered or until vegetables and meat are very tender.
5. Add green beans and simmer, covered, another 15 minutes.