Servings: Makes about 30 cookies.
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
2 & 1/2 cups (325g) all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup (227g) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup (120g) confectioners sugar (powdered or icing)
2 large egg yolks
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp pure almond extract
1/2 tsp red liquid food coloring (can use red paste food coloring)
1. In a bowl, whisk the flour with the salt.
2. In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the egg yolks and vanilla and almond extracts and beat until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the flour mixture, in three additions, and beat until you have a smooth dough.
3. Remove half of the dough from the mixing bowl. To the remaining half add the red food coloring and beat on low speed until well blended. If you find the dough too soft, cover and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
4. Take a walnut sized piece of red dough and a walnut sized piece of white dough. Separately, roll each color on a lightly floured surface, into a 4-5 inch (10-12.5 cm) long rope. Place the two ropes side by side, gently press together, and twist the two ropes to form a spiral. Place the cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet, spacing the cookies about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Shape each cookie into a cane shape by bending one end into a hook shape. (If you find the cookies a little soft, place the baking sheet (with the unbaked cookies) in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes before baking.)
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven.
6. Bake cookies for about 8 - 10 minutes or until set and the edges of the cookies are just starting to brown. Do not over bake. Remove from oven and let cookies cool completely on baking sheet. Cover and store in an airtight container for about a week. These cookies can be frozen.