Cook Time: 10 minutes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Ready In: 35 minutes
For the topping:
Couple of dollops of Crème Fraîche
1 tbsp of Cranberry Sauce
1 tsp of Horseradish Sauce
Slices of Smoked Salmon
Sprigs of Fresh Dill
For the Blinis:
1. Dissolve the dried yeast in the warm milk. Stir the buckwheat and plain flour in a bowl with a pinch of salt. Whisk the yeasty milk in with the dry ingredients.
2. Stir through the crème fraîche and egg yolks then leave the bowl in a warm place for an hour to activate.
3. Stir the crème fraîche, cranberry sauce and horseradish for the topping together and leave to one side for later.
4. Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks, then fold into the activated batter.
5. Heat a knob of butter in a pan and drop teaspoons of the mixture into the pan. Fry for a minute on each side until golden and puffy then cool on kitchen paper.
6. Spoon small dollops of the topping onto each. Roll up small strips of smoked salmon and lay on top. Dress each one with a sprig of fresh dill to serve.
For the mushroom croutes:
1. Preheat an oven to 356°F (180°C)
3. Peel and dice the shallot and garlic, then sweat off in a pan with a knob of butter. Peel the mushrooms and brush off any dirt. Place into a food processor and blend to make as fine as possible.
4. Add to the pan with the softened onions and fry for a few minutes. Splash in the brandy, then leave to cool. Chop the parsley and stir through the mushroom mix. Spoon onto the bagel croute and finish with a fresh sprig of parsley.