2 beef steaks (150g each)
2 tbsp of cornflour
salt and pepper
2 tsp of Chinese five spice
1 cup of jasamin rice
handful of cashew nuts
couple of spring onions
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 lime, juiced
1 tbsp sugar
1 red chilli, finely chopped
few sprigs of fresh coriander, chopped
1. Slice the beef across the grain into thin strips.
2. Coat the beef with the cornflour, salt, pepper and 5 spice powder in a bowl.
3. Toast the cashew nuts in a dry frying pan for a couple of minutes before adding a pinch of salt and the ginger until the nuts are golden.
4. Remove from the pan and leave to one side to cool.
5. Steam or boil the jasamin rice in salted water with any ginger trimmings as per packet instructions.
6. Whisk all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and leave to infuse.
7. Peel the cucumber into long ribbons using a potato peeler and toss into the dressing.
8. Heat up a shot of oil in a frying pan or wok and when really hot add the beef, dusting off the excess of corn flour.
9. Fry for 2 mins, stirring all the time so it becomes crispy, but still tender inside.
10. Drain the rice and serve with the crispy beef, cucumber salad and toasted cashews.