2 tbsp butter
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
2 green chillies, finely chopped
1 tsp ground turmeric
1½ teaspoon salt
1 tsp garam masala
1 cauliflower, cut into florets
¼ cup water
A handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
1. Heat the butter in a large pan (you need space so that the cauliflower doesn’t get crushed when cooking) and, when melted, add the cumin seeds. When sizzling, add the onion and, when soft, add the garlic, frying until lightly golden.
2. Remove the pan from the heat for a few seconds and then add the ginger, chillies, turmeric, salt and garam masala. Cook for about 30 seconds on a gentle heat, stirring. Add a splash of water to make sure nothing sticks.
3. Add the cauliflower and turn up the heat to medium. Stir fry for a couple of minutes, coating the cauliflower thoroughly.
4. Add ¼ cup of water, stir well, cover and steam through on a very low heat for 15–20 minutes, checking occasionally that it is not sticking to the bottom. If so, add a splash of water and the steam will loosen it off.
5. Serve with a knob of butter and a scattering of coriander.