1. Make a pile of the flour with a well in the center. Crack in 3 eggs and a large pinch of salt. Working from the center with a fork beat the eggs, bringing in a small amount of flour at a time from the edges.
2. Keep adding flour to the egg mixture in the center with your metal fork until the wet dough can be lifted in one ball by the fork.
3. At this point the dough is solid enough to handle, so add a bit more flour and begin to kneed with your fingers, using the heel of your hands.
4. Work the dough to get warmth into it and develop the gluten, dusting with more flour until it is no longer sticky yet still light. This should take about 10 minutes of vigorous kneading.
5. Roll it into a silky, elastic dough ball and roll in flour to cover. Wrap in a tea towel for 20 minutes to rest.
6. Place half the dough on a well dusted surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out into a rectangular shape about 1/4 in thick. Use plenty of flour to ensure the dough does not stick to the surface beneath.
7. Take hold of one side of the rolled out dough along the long edge and fold the long edge of the dough up to the half way point. Then take hold of the other end of the dough and fold it up so the edge just meets the first side, like a closed cupboard door.
8. Dust with more flour and once again bring each of the long edges of the folded dough to the center, repeating the same process.
9. With a sharp knife cut 1/4 quarter inch strips of pasta strips all along the dough like a tiny loaf of bread. Slide your knife underneath the cut pasta and lift in up, dull side pointing upward and the pasta ribbons should fall over the sides.
10. Gently shake the ribbons so they separate without overlapping and lay in a flour dusted tray while you repeat this with the other half of your dough.
11. Bring a large pot of well salted water to a boil and gently add your pasta. Test it after 3-4 minutes, it should not take much longer than this, and then drain in a collander.
12. Toss with your favorite sauce or try John & Sage's Grokker recipe for Classic Italian Pesto, delicious. (Pesto Recipe below)
Directions for Pesto Recipe:
1. Put the basil, pine nuts and parmesan into a food processor and whiz until finely chopped.
2. Add in olive oil slowly and process until you reach the desired consistency.
3. Serve and enjoy!
You can find John & Sage's https://grokker.com/cooking/video/classic-italian-pesto/51089182650ea39d66000129