Servings: 8 to 10
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour
Make Sure You Have: parchment paper, mixer with whisk attachment, round springform pan
Chantilly Cream: (Store bought or Emily's recipe which is not shown in this video)
Servings: Makes 2 cups
1 cups heavy (whipping) cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 & 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
1. Start with 1 & 1/4 cup of sugar in a mixing bowl with the whisk attachment on the mixer. Add in 4 large eggs and whisk it till it's really thick.
2. Melt the 65% bittersweet chocolate in a double boiler. Remove from the heat and whisk until smooth. Cool to room temperature. Add the butter to the chocolate and whisk until smooth.
3. Add the chocolate and butter mixture into the egg mixture and whisk on low speed for a minute then take it out and mix it with a spatula by hand. Sift the cornstarch and then stir it into the chocolate. Gently mix the two together.
4. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line the bottom of a 9-inch round springform pan with parchment paper. Wrap a double piece of aluminum foil around the bottom of the pan and a least halfway up the sides.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Place the cake in a baking pan or large sauté pan with at least a 1/2-inch clearance around the sides. Place the baking pan on a rack in the middle of the oven.
6. Carefully fill the baking pan with hot water so that the water comes about half of way up the sides of the pan. This water bath is called a "bain marie" and is a classic technique used to ensure even baking temperature.
7. Bake until the cake is crusty on top and a skewer inserted in the middle still is almost dry, about 50 minutes. Remove the pan from the water bath and remove the foil. Cool to room temperature. Un-mold the cake from the pan by running a knife around the inside edge of the pan, releasing the latch, and removing the ring.
8. Place a large plate on top of the cake. Invert the pan and the plate together. Remove the bottom of the cake pan and carefully peel off the parchment paper. Cut the cake using a hot dry knife for each slice. Serve with Chantilly Cream, Caramel Sauce and Candied Almonds or your favorite ice cream.
1. The cake can be made a day in advance.
2. Store at room temperature.