1/2 cup (80g) red lentils, dehusked
1/2 cup (80g) yellow lentils, dehusked
3 tbsp (40g) barley, boiled
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
3 tbsps (40g) onion, sliced
1/2 tsp green chili powder
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste
1 cup (200g) baby spinach
Cumin Crème Fraiche (optional garnish):
1 tsp cumin seeds, roasted and crushed
1/2 cup (100g) crème fraiche
Sea salt to taste
Lentil, Barley and Spinach Soup:
1. Wash the lentils and soak in hot water for 30 minutes. Drain the lentils and rinse with cold water.
2. Pour 4 cups of water into a large pot. Cook over high heat. Add the soaked lentils, barley, red chili powder, turmeric, onions, green chili powder, and oil, and stir.
3. Boil for 30-40 minutes, until the grains mush between the fingers. Add salt. Remove the pot from the heat.
4. In a small saucepan heat up oil over medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds, garlic and green chili powder and combine. Add the tempering mixture to the soup, then the baby spinach leaves, and stir together. There is enough heat in the soup to wilt the spinach and avoid overcooking and discoloring.
5. Spoon the soup into a soup bowl. Spoon a dollop of the cumin crème fraiche on the soup.
Cumin Crème Fraiche:
1. Add roasted cumin seeds (lightly broiled then slightly crushed with a rolling pin) to crème fraiche, along with salt to taste, and lightly fold together.