Yields: Makes 30
3 & 1/2 cups (500g) of self raising flour
1 & 1/2 cups (300g) of superfine or granulated sugar (caster)
3/4 cup (180g) of unsalted butter
1 cup (200g) of raw or blanched almonds (you will later chop in food processor))
1/3 cup (50g) of store bought ground almonds/almond flour
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350℉ (170-175°C).
2. Start off by blitzing 1 cup of raw almonds in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Take them out of the processor, pour into a bowl and set aside.
3. Place 3 1/2 cup (500g) of self-raising flour, 1/3 cup (50g) of ground almonds, 1 1/2 cup (300g) of sugar, a good healthy pinch of salt, and 3/4 cup (180g) of butter in the processor. Blend the batter a little to mix to a sandy texture.
4. In a separate bowl crack 3 whole eggs and then add to the processor. Mix batter again and use the spatula to scrape the edges to get all the eggs incorporated into the batter. Dough should easily be shaped into a ball and be moist. If consistency is not right, and if dough requires loosening, add just a teaspoon of water at a time and blend in until it holds a ball shape.
5. Once you have the dough to the right consistency, you can add about 1 cup (200g) of your chopped almonds. Mix into batter a little more but take care not to grind the almonds, you want them course in the finished biscotti.
6. Take the dough out of the blender and place it in a bowl. Pack it together to make a tight ball. Cut the dough into 4 equally sized pieces. Take 1 piece and spread dough by hand out on a parchment paper lined baking tray.
7. Shape the dough out into a one foot long sausage shape about 2 inches wide and 1 inch high, and do the same with the other 3 pieces. Place 2 of them per tray. Place them in a preheated oven of 350°F (170-175°C) for 25 minutes.
8. Take the Cantuccini out of the oven and let cool for 5 minutes, then tilt them onto a cutting board. Cut them on the bias diagonally into 1/2 inch wide slices which will form traditionally shaped biscotti cookies and then lay them back on the lined baking tray resting on their sides, about an inch apart. Now place the cut Cantuccini still laying on their side back in the hot oven for a further 5 minutes.
9. Remove them from the oven and let them sit and cool for a few minutes. You are now ready to serve!
10. Cantuccini may be stored in an air tight container for 1 week.