1 medium (3½-pound) butternut squash
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp unsalted butter
½ large yellow onion, diced
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
1 bay leaf
½ tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
3 – 4 sage leaves, torn into small pieces
½ cup Stella Artois
4 cups chicken broth
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Squash seeds (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Cut squash lengthwise down the middle. Scoop out the seeds and reserve for garnish (optional).
2. Drizzle with olive oil / open side up and season with salt and pepper. Roast the squash (each side facing down) for 45 minutes until tender throughout.
3. While squash is roasting, set a Dutch oven or equivalent heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the butter, when it foams, add the onions, carrots, bay leaf, cayenne, thyme and sage.
4. Cook, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, for about 8 minutes, or until the vegetables soften and begin to caramelize.
5. Pour in the Stella Artois, and stir to loosen any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Cook for about a minute, then add 4 cups chicken broth. Then scoop squash straight out and into the Dutch oven.
6. As soon as the soup returns to a boil, turn the heat off and discard the bay leaf. Using an immersion blender, blend until silky smooth. Season with ½ teaspoon salt, and black pepper.Garnish with seeds.