1. Preheat your grill or broiler to a medium-high heat. Remove the top and bottom of the aubergine. Cut into half and peel the skin in stripes. Cut each half into three.
2. Brush the side of the aubergine you are cooking first with oil, and then grill on the rack for about 6 to 7 minutes. Check the aubergine after 4 minutes to prevent burning. Once the aubergines start to colour, turn over the aubergines and brush more oil on the other side, then grill further 5 min or until cooked. When you touch the aubergines, they should be soft. If you feel firm inside, which means the aubergines are not cooked.
4. Mix the miso, sugar, mirin and in a bowl and heat in a microwave for 1, cook for 1 minute or simmer in a small sauce pan for 2-3 minutes. The sauce should be thick enough to stay on the top of the aubergines. If the sauce is too thick, add a little water and if too thin, add more miso and sugar to balance the flavour.
5. When the aubergines are cooked, take the oven rack out, then paste roughly 1 large tsp the miso sauce on top of each aubergine. Be careful not to paste the miso too thick or it will over power the aubergines.
6. Put the aubergines back on the grill. Grill for about 1-2 min or until the miso sauce starts bubbling. Be vigilant as the miso can burn quite quickly.
7. Sprinkle a small pinch of sesame seeds on top for decoration. Enjoy hot!