1 daikon radish
2 large carrots
1 Chinese cabbage
4 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp Japanese mustard or wasabi
1 tbsp of sesame oil
2 tbsp of soya sauce
2 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp sake
1 tsp of sugar
Pinch of black sesame seeds
1. Chop carrot and daikon radish needle fine, or grate but this will reduce the crunch. Keep vegetables separated.
2. Place the radish in a bowl, add the white part of Chinese cabbage thinly sliced. Cut the green leaf of the cabbage finely and add to another bowl with the carrots.
3. To pickle the radishes, mix in a teaspoon of salt and leave to stand for 5 minutes, then wash off the salt with cold water.
4. Squeeze the excess water from the radishes and add to the carrots, then mix all the ingredients together.
5. To another bowl add mayonnaise, Japanese mustard, sesame oil, soya sauce, rice vinegar, sake and sugar. Mix together thoroughly.
6. When ready to serve add marinade to vegetables and sesame seeds, mix together and serve immediately.