Servings: Makes 12 cupcakes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup (180 ml) solid packed, canned pumpkin puree
Cream Cheese Frosting:
4 ounces (113 grams) cream cheese, room temperature
2 tbsp (30 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups (175 grams) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted
1 cup (110 grams) pecans or walnuts or English Toffee Bits
1. Pumpkin Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Place rack in the middle of the oven. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners or spray each cup with a non stick vegetable spray.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground spices, and salt.
3. In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and pumpkin puree, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
4. Fill the muffin cups evenly with the batter using two spoons or an ice cream scoop. Place in the oven and bake for about 18 - 20 minutes, or until firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1. In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the butter and beat until incorporated and smooth. Add the vanilla extract and confectioners sugar and beat until fluffy (2-3 minutes). Pipe or spread the frosting on the cupcakes. Sprinkle with toasted and chopped nuts or English Toffee Bits.
To toast nuts:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and place rack in the center of the oven. Place the nuts on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 - 10 minutes or until brown and fragrant. Cool completely and then chop coarsely.