6 egg whites
Pinch of salt
Pinch of cream of tartar
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tbsp corn starch
1 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
Olive oil to brush on sheet pan
Sweetened Mascarpone Cheese:
4 pouches of Mascarpone cheese
1 tbsp sugar
3/4 cup Lambrusco red wine
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
3/4 cup strawberries
3/4 cup blackberries
3/4 cup raspberries
3/4 cup tayberries
6 egg yolks
6 half eggshell of sugar
6 half eggshell of Lambrusco red wine
1. Preheat oven to 200-225℉.
2. Separate egg whites from yolks and conserve the yolks and discarded shells for later. Whip egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar in a mixer on low speed until soft and fluffy. Add 2 cups of sugar whip for another minute. (Do not toss away your egg shells as we will be using them for measurements later on in our Zabaglione.)
3. Add corn starch and white wine vinegar, whip once again against glossy and holds a stiff peak.
4. Brush some olive oil on to a parchment lined sheet pan. With a spatula fold the meringue in the mixing bowl and then pour it all out on top of the sheet pan, forming it into a round crater shape with slightly raised edges.
5. Place the meringue in a 200-225℉ oven and slowly cook for 2.5 hours. This can be done a day ahead. Remove from oven and leave to cool at room temperature.
6. When the meringue is ready at at room temperature you can prepare the cheese filling and marinate the berries.
Sweetened Mascarpone Cheese:
1. Using a spoon mix sugar into the Mascarpone cheese in a bowl.
Directions for Berries:
1. In a bowl mix the wine and sugar and set it aside.
2. Wash, dry and cut the strawberries in half. Wash and dry blackberries, raspberries and tayberries. In a separate bowl place the cut strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, and tayberries, then pour in the Lambrusco and mix.
Directions for Zabaglione:
1. In a bowl add 6 egg yolks, 6 half eggshells of sugar, 6 eggshells of red wine, lightly whisk the ingredients together and get your double-boiler ready.
2. To double boil simmer water in a pot then place the Zabaglione bowl on top of the boiling pot and whisk. Let the steam from the water heat the mixture.
3. Once you have the bowl on top of the boiling pot whisk continuously while the steam cooks the Zabaglione. Keep whisking until it is a luscious foamy sauce.
Putting it all together:
1. Take the baked, cooled meringue. Make sure it is at room temperature.
2. On top of the meringue, spread large spoonfuls of the sweetened Mascarpone cheese. Make sure to coat the meringue well so the the liquid from the berries does not leak out.
3. Spoon the berries on top of the Mascarpone cheese spread, careful not to add too much of the marinade, and then drizzle the Zabaglione sauce generously all over the berries.
4. You are ready to serve and enjoy!
Check out the other videos in the Italian Summer Dinner Party menu:
Main Course: https://grokker.com/cooking/video/tuscan-roasted-pork-loin-arista/52004f9afc3b9efd110b374c